Vaginal Swab Instructions
Preparing for sample collection
• Read all instructions before you begin.
• Undress to expose the vaginal area.
• Put yourself in a comfortable position.
• Do not use this kit if you are pregnant.
• Do not collect sample while menstruating.
• Do not pre-wet the swab with the Amies transport medium or any other liquid before obtaining the vaginal sample.
1 Wash your hands with soap and water before getting started. Dry them with a paper towel.
2 Hold the swab in one hand and with the other hand separate the folds of skin around the vaginal opening (labia). Insert the swab towards your lower back, similar to the way you would insert a tampon.
3 Insert the swab about 5 cm into the vaginal opening. Gently turn the swab for about 30 seconds while rubbing the swab against the wall of the vagina. There should be no pain or discomfort.
4 Carefully withdraw the swab. Do not let the swab touch any surface before placing it into the transport tube.
5 While holding the swab in the same hand remove the cap from the transport tube. Twist first to break the seal, then pull the cap off.
6 Put the swab into the transport tube. Close tightly to prevent leakage.
7 The sample is now ready for return.